Frequently Asked Questions
What are the differences between each of the teas in this collection?
Most tea aficionados know that all white, black and green tea comes from the same source: the Camellia Sinensis tea bush. Whether a tea leaf winds up in a cup of green, black, or oolong tea depends entirely on what happens after it is plucked. Tea leaves meant for more mellow tasting green tea are not fermented at all, but merely withered in hot air and quickly steamed or pan-fried. A gentle rolling and final heating stabilizes the tea’s natural flavors.
White tea on the other hand is made from immature tea leaves that are picked shortly before the buds have fully opened. Tea leaves destined to be sold as white tea undergo even less processing than green tea leaves. Instead of air-drying, the unwithered leaves are merely steamed. Leaving tea leaves so close to their natural state means that white tea contains more polyphenols, the powerful anti-oxidant that fights and kills cancer-causing cells, than any other type of tea.
Rooibos Tea (pronounced roy-bus) is found primarily in South Africa and Japan and is high in antioxidants, alpha hydroxy acid and zinc for healthy, smooth skin. It is especially useful when applied to skin irritations like itchy skin, eczema, sunburns, diaper rash and acne.
Fun Fact: Rooibos comes from the Afrikaans word for “red bush”.
What are the benefits of using green & white tea in skin care?
Green and white teas have been used for thousands of years to treat inner and outer ailments and can count the following benefits as reasons Eminence has chosen to include them in our new collection:
- They fight free radicals – Teas contain a cocktail of potent antioxidants (catechins), which help fight damage caused by free radicals.
- They neutralize UV light – In several scientific studies, green tea extract was shown to neutralize the damage done by exposure to UV rays. Since exposure to sunlight is a major factor that ages the skin, it is reasonable to assume that green tea cream could help prevent premature aging.
- They prevent skin cancer – Green tea’s antioxidant effects may help prevent skin cancer. A 2003 study published in the American Chemical Society discovered that green tea prevents skin cancer by blocking the harmful enzyme junk-2.
- They rejuvenate skin cells – Green and white teas have been linked to improving skin elasticity when used continuously, and many people believe they may help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles even if they can’t remove them completely. One study, performed in 2003 by Dr. Stephen Hsu of the Medical College of Georgia Department of Oral Biology, found that green tea was able to rejuvenate old skin cells that were at the end of their life cycle.
- They fight inflammation – Green and white teas have powerful anti-inflammatory effects. If your skin is very sensitive and often red, products containing green tea extract may help soothe it.
- They improve psoriasis and dandruff conditions – People with skin conditions such as psoriasis, rosacea, and dandruff, which are caused by inflammation, may benefit the most from the anti-inflammatory action of the chemicals in green tea. In a 2007 study published in Experimental Dermatology, green tea was shown to significantly lessen the severity of psoriasis in mice.
- They sooth acne and lighten skin – In addition to the benefits listed above, green tea catechins are anti-bacterial and can decrease hormone activity. A 2003 study carried out by Dr. Jennifer Gan-Wong of Memorial Medical Center in the Philippines showed that green tea cream was as good as benzoyl peroxide cream in treating acne conditions with fewer side effects. The researchers noted the green tea cream seemed to lighten patients’ skin color and improve the overall appearance of their complexion.
Effortless elegance in shades that flatter every complexion.
Intoxicating, energetic, and full of opportunity for renewal, spring is the perfect time to show off some skin – as long as our skin is ready to be shown off! Because a healthy complexion is the most beautiful cosmetic you can wear, girls-in-the-know won’t be leaving home without Perfectly Nude, the new spring collection from jane iredale. Composed of flattering colors that know how to multitask, this timely collection will get you ready for a spring fling with beauty.
Buy it now here.
I enjoyed yet another wonderful day with Helen! I had super-hydradermie this week (a follow-up from my recent microdermabrasion experience) and it truly was SUPER. Hydradermie uses electrotherapy to penetrate vitamins and
deeply cleanse your skin without using steam.
Helen customized my treatment by using the eucalyptus cleansing concentrate from Eminence (she suggested this product to me after my micro treatment and I now own it and love it). She then used the Lightening Hydradermie Gel to help even out my skin tones while cleansing and nourishing my skin. She finished my treatment with the Seven Herbs Treatment Masque, also from Eminence, which calmed my skin after extractions.
Helen had told me that the more I do Hydradermie the more improvement I will see in my skin. I can’t wait for my next treatment because I am already seeing improvement. My skin looks less irriatated and hydrated—defiantely more clear—and GLOWING!
Helen has made me fall in love with Eminence, Microdermabrasion, and now Hydradermie!
Monday, May 17, 2010, 5-9 PM
The Green Spa & Wellness Center,
Maimonides Medical Center &
Brooklyn Women’s Services Health Center,
an affiliate of Maimonides Medical Center
invite you to
A Journey through the Stages of Menopause of Women of All Ages
Fee is $10 pre registration
(redeemable in a gift card for The Green Spa)
To register please call The Green Spa at (718)921-6100
Seating is limited so please register early
Menopause is a time of metamorphosis – when a woman’s body takes a break to transition from nurturing others to taking care of themselves. This time can be a time for reflection, discovery and transformation. Health care and wellness professionals will show you, how you can embrace menopause and make it a happy time for your life.
Participate in 6 workshops specifically designed to address menopause issues including:
- Sexual Health and Libido
- Dealing with Your Emotions During Menopause
- Cooking for Menopause Health
- Urinary Incontinence
- Beauty During Menopause
- Bioidentical Hormone Replacement/Vitamin Supplements
Sneak peak at our 1st Eco Friendly Luxury Wellness Center:
Secret Garden Green Spa
702 Forest Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10310
Opening on Earth Day, April 22nd.
I had an excellent experience with Helen yesterday having my first
Microdermabrasion. She was very thorough starting with a skin analysis to
see my skins needs, and explaining how the service is done so I knew what
to expect. We decided on Microdermabrasion because my skin was rather dry
after the winter months. Microdermabrasion would exfoliate my skin and
remove the dead skin cells.
Once the Microdermabrasion was done and my skin felt fresh and new, she
followed up with cleansing and moisturizing my skin using the Mineral
Cleanser and Blueberry Soy Night Cream from Eminence. Helen also applied a
Stone Crop Masque over the Blueberry Soy Night Cream to ensure that my
skin was hydrated after the Micro treatment. The aromas from the Eminence
products was a definate PLUS to my experience. Helen consistently
checked-in and asked me how my skin was feeling to make sure I was
comfortable during my treatment.
My skin is now smooth and glowing and I would definately repeat the process.
I just had my first cupping therapy experience and would highly recommend
it to those with extremely tight muscles like myself. I have been
searching for something to help with the consistent pain in my back from
muscle tightness. I was wonderfully surprised when I experienced this
treatment with Italia, a medical massage specialist, at how much it
loosened the tissue and muscle. Italia is fantastic, she is very
knowledgeable, personable and of course a wonderful massage therapist with
HANDS OF GOLD. I will definitely be coming back time and time again!
Dana Marie Pitta
Green Spa & Wellness Center