If you’ve heard the term “microgreens”, you may have wondered about these tiny trending plants. You’ve walked past their little bobbing heads at your supermarket, seen them piled up on plates at your local eatery, and they’re even showing up in the Eminence Organics Microgreens Detox Collection.
What’s the big fuss about something so small? With Earth Day around the corner, we’re here to walk you through the microgreens phenomenon and help you find out more about these environmentally friendly plants and their health benefits in food and skin care.
Microgreens are exactly what they sound like: small and green! They are simply mini plants – like broccoli, radish or clover sprouts – that are harvested in their seedling stage before they reach maturity. Planet-friendly because they require few resources, microgreens are ready to go in 14 days or less. These cute little leaves are intensely flavored and add a zesty accent to salads, sandwiches and even soups.
Besides adding flavor to your plate, microgreens deliver nutrients to your body. According to a study by the US Department of Agriculture, the leaves of almost all microgreens have “four to six times more nutrients than the mature leaves of the same plant.” As USDA researcher Dr. Gene Lester points out, “All of these nutrients are extremely important for skin, eyes, and fighting cancer and have all sorts of benefits associated with them.”
The new Eminence Organics Microgreens Detox Collection harnesses the powerful actions of these leafy ingredients to cleanse and protect the skin from drying environmental stressors with these three products:
1. The Eminence Organics Stone Crop Cleansing Oil restores balance and removes impurities.
2. The Stone Crop Oxygenating Fizzofoliant brightens and invigorates through exfoliation.
3. The Lotus Detoxifying Overnight Treatment revitalizes and detoxifies dry skin with a lightweight gel cream.
Together, this capsule collection uses microgreens and ingredients like stonecrop to target the drying effects of pollution on the skin. Find out where you can buy the Eminence Organics Microgreens Detox Collection at your nearest Eminence spa.
3-4 beets (we used golden beets)
⅓ cup goat cheese
2 cups microgreens
3 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 TB white balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Wash beets thoroughly. Wrap each one individually in foil, place on baking sheet and roast for 45-60 minutes.
2. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes. Unwrap each beet and peel the skin which should slip away easily, then cube.
3. Whisk together the dressing ingredients and toss with microgreens gently.
4. Crumble goat cheese on microgreens and top with beets.
This post was written by Karen Young Chester from Eminence Organics.
You can find their blog here